Saturday, February 27, 2010

Hamlet is shooting marbles in my kitchen

I found a wonderful website that I thought I would share. http://shakespeare-art-museum.com/ is an online gallery of Hannah Tompkins's paintings inspired by Shakespeare's plays. Once a real museum in Oregon run by Hannah and her husband, it is now only available online. Tompkins passed away in 1990.
Even if you aren't teaching Shakespeare, it is a very interesting site to peruse. A lot of us were able to go to a conference earlier this month about arts and literacy, and one of the presentations was about the different ways and levels of studying a piece of art, beit a painting, poem, or play. I found this painting of Hamlet titled Hamlet: Triple Portrait, The Scholar, Slayer, and Fool.

We are beginning Act V this Thursday, and my seniors will write a journal response exploring why Tompkins would have portrayed him as having these three particular facets.
I love Hamlet but will be glad to move on to The Kiterunner, mostly because my husband can bear The Kiterunner, but not Shakespeare. I get pretty wrapped up in Hamlet; it's my favorite of the Bard, and I also love Kenneth Branagh's adaptation. Kudos to Brandon for being a good sport and watching it with me, even if I did translate the whole time. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment